Whether you’re ready for it or not, fall has arrived. As the leaves start turning orange and the days get shorter, its time to switch your white wine to red, and get your house prepared for the coming months.
Our Gibson team has put together some tips that will help make your home more comfortable during fall and winter.
1. Check windows and doors on the exterior for possible air or water leaks - make sure the weep holes are clear at the bottom on the outside.
2. Inspect caulking around windows for cracks or separation from the window or building.
3. Check the roof for loose shingles, tiles or shakes. Make sure vents are in good condition and are not blocked with debris.
4. If you have large trees or shrubs close to the home, make sure they are trimmed well back to avoid branches damaging exterior of the home, the shingles or interfering with vents.
5. Close the pool
If you have a pool and live in an area where temperatures dip, schedule a service to come and close it for the season or if you know how, buy the supplies and do it yourself.
6. Have gas heating systems inspection by a professional.
7. Replace the furnace filters, check fan belt and lubricate the motor if required.
8. Clean and test all smoke alarms - check or replace the batteries.
9. Remove and store all hoses, turn off the water supply to the exterior faucets and drain hose bibs BEFORE freezing temperatures.
10. If you have an in-ground sprinkler system, make sure it is properly drained and winterized BEFORE freezing temperatures.
Just some friendly reminders when we are hit with snow: